Translate

Note from AhaBlogolicious...

Comments are turned off on comics to avoid cluttering the page. Please comment or discuss using Facebook, Twitter or other social media. "Make Humor, Not War!" Thanks, you're wonderful! Yes, you! Without your support, this blog would be a lonely place...
...
Curious as to who I am and why I'm so darned opinionated? (or warped? Geez, I hope not too much!)

Try connecting with me, on Facebook or Twitter.
Follow on (https://www.facebook.com/LittleDogsMedia/ or @LittleDogsMedia) or connect with me on LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/in/cganderson/

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

くるり / Quruli (Kururi) serves up some easy listening with a bit of kick

Travelling a bit to the east today (from China) we are back in Japan. I'm in an easy, slow mood today since the sun is shining and it is actually warm here in the Northwest (Seattle, WA, USA.)

So perusing through Japan MySpace music sites I find
くるり or Quruli by their spelling (Kururi by other Romanji spellings of Japanese Hiragana characters.)

This duo is an easy-listening group, and yes, it's pop music but again not necessarily the outrageous J-POP that most think of when thinking of the pop music scene of Japan. This duo is simply easy to listen to, with a focus on ballads. The musical orchestrations also tend to the ballad-like side, but with complexity and emotive overtones that I also hear with ballad-pop songs of Alanis Morissette.

I like pop tunes that have musical complexity and intricacy. It's one reason I love the work of Alanis.
And these guys definitely have some of that same spark.

Vocally, they seem to stay in a safe range and their music tends to be a bit more controlled than American counterparts, but it could just be the selection of tunes that I heard.


Why not see for yourself. Kick back and listen to some Japanese pop for awhile (especially if you aren't into Japanese Metal. Though the two metal bands I found, see previous reviews, are really superb.)


Their MySpace music page is at
http://www.myspace.com/quruliofficial

Have an easy, "slow riding in the sun" day!


Where shall I go next on this pre-Olympics musical tour? Continue WEST to Korea, perhaps? or EASTward toward Canada and the West Coast of the US?
Hmmm...


Cheers!
CG Anderson

No comments: