Translate

Note from AhaBlogolicious...

Comments are turned off on comics to avoid cluttering the page. Please comment or discuss using Facebook, Twitter or other social media. "Make Humor, Not War!" Thanks, you're wonderful! Yes, you! Without your support, this blog would be a lonely place...
...
Curious as to who I am and why I'm so darned opinionated? (or warped? Geez, I hope not too much!)

Try connecting with me, on Facebook or Twitter.
Follow on (https://www.facebook.com/LittleDogsMedia/ or @LittleDogsMedia) or connect with me on LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/in/cganderson/

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Dark Farm - What can 8th Century Ants and Chickens Teach us about Today?


Transcript:
"Dark Farm"

Bound Chickens

My little servant bound the chickens
ready to take to market;
the birds, resenting such harsh handling,
flapped their wings and cackled.

My family has little regard for chickens,
blames them for eating ants,
forgetting the birds will soon be boiled
after their heads are severed.

What right have we to take a side
when ants and chickens fight?
I call to the boy, "Let them go ---
I want those birds unshackled."

The old dispute between chickens and ants
never will have an end;
leaning against the barn on the hill,
I gaze on the cold river.

---Poems of Du Fu

(written by Du Fu, 8th century, China)