Translate

Note from AhaBlogolicious...

Comments are turned off on comics to avoid cluttering the page. Please comment or discuss using Facebook, Twitter or other social media. "Make Humor, Not War!" Thanks, you're wonderful! Yes, you! Without your support, this blog would be a lonely place...
...
Curious as to who I am and why I'm so darned opinionated? (or warped? Geez, I hope not too much!)

Try connecting with me, on Facebook or Twitter.
Follow on (https://www.facebook.com/LittleDogsMedia/ or @LittleDogsMedia) or connect with me on LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/in/cganderson/

Friday, March 09, 2007

Interview: PROJECT Dance of Michigan--Innovation and Dance are Alive and Well in Michigan!


Innovation and Dance are Alive and Well in Michigan!


Interview with Kathy King and company of PROJECT Dance of Michigan.

Link to Part Two of Interview

You find amazing dancers and amazing dance groups in unexpected places. If you asked the average person where an innovative, progressive dance group might be located, I somehow doubt "Michigan" would suddenly spring to mind. Yet New York, London, Paris, Los Angeles, Chicago and so forth aren't the only places to find dancers either working hard in an industry that often under-appreciates them or to find dance groups pushing the envelope in order to push our culture to the next level.

Yes, I included Los Angeles, but mainly because of the film and television industry, as well as the music industry, that employs so many dancers regularly. Most jobs there may not be pushing for ever-expanding artistic development, but jobs are jobs. It's impossible to improve the art without support of some kind, so even if a dancer's main job is as 'back-up" dancer, it's still a living—and better yet, it's a real, honest to god, job as a working dancer.

You can make the same observations about other "cultural" centers. We tend to think of New York or London based ballet as the epitome of the dance kingdom—or perhaps Harlem Dance, for those that know about and prefer modern. It’s a stereotype, of course, since there is much more to dance than ballet companies performing Swan Lake, but when I did an informal survey, walking around asking people to name a dance company, I typically either got a blank stare or them naming a locally or internationally known ballet company.

Yep, I actually do silly things like that…luckily, I’m harmless looking so people don’t scream and run away in panic. They probably just think I’m odd…and they’re right, of course. After all, who would walk around aimlessly asking people about dance, dancers and dance companies? Yes, there must be something wrong with that girl…too much caffeine probably. Hmm…. No, no such thing as TOO much caffeine! I need my four cans of Coca-Cola, three cans of Diet Pepsi and singular once a week treat of a Double Caramel Mocha with Whipped Cream, Chocolate and Caramel Sauce and Dark Chocolate Stick from Seattle’s Best Coffee (SBC)…I need it, you hear?! NEED IT!!

Uh..anyway….

If you ask about a dancer, the result is more mixed and based on age and exposure. Here you get responses that point to people that watch dance shows on television to local dancers they know personally to again, internationally known dancers, most typically ballet or modern practitioners—and often “as seen on film or tv.” This even included film stars who were in movies (and danced in them) about dance like “Shall We Dance?” or often, especially among those over thirty, who were in musicals (film, tv or Broadway and including both old and new films and shows.)

However, when you phrase it as dance “company” then that slight change of semantics leads to a much wider chasm, or lack thereof, of recognition. That was why I usually got a tentative reply involving a ballet company as a response—but the successes of a few dance companies don't represent the thousands of companies out there, nor the hundreds of thousands of dancers struggling to learn and perfect their craft. It's also important to note that most dance companies, even and including the dominating few at the top of our cultural awareness, continue to struggle with funding issues.

Dancers dance because they just plain NEED to dance, just as other artists, including writers and musicians, ply their craft because of inner drives rather than outer rewards. It's a gift and a curse, depending on how you look at it. Some might even call it a compulsion or addiction.

As the saying goes with acting, "if you can be happy doing anything else, then do that…and get out of the business for your sanity's sake, if nothing else." It's the same with any art form and probably any sport…I'd say it's probably the same with ANY inner drive from art to sport to business to science. It’s just with the arts in particular, more than other professions, often the external rewards are slight—and the inner price is often high, very high indeed sometimes.

No one wants to be a starving artist—but then the joy to be reaped from doing what you love, what you feel inside you needing to be expressed…it's indescribable to those that never feel such passion, such yearning, or such compulsive drives in their daily low risk lives, even if the passion not experienced isn’t art or dance, but a passion for another field of study or work. Doing what gives you joy isn’t limited to the artistic mindset, but so many others out there still never experience that joy, regardless of the pursuit involved.

Perhaps such others are happier…then again, perhaps they just need that inner joy and hidden passion (whatever that passion may be) to be awakened by someone else, a musical group, a dramatic story, an action-packed film, a painting that resonates, a sculpture that inspires…

…or perhaps it will be awakened and nurtured by a dance group seeking to share their own sense of joy and deep passion with others.

So yes, Michigan…not New York, not LA, not the usual stereotypes…not even Detroit…but Brighton, Michigan.

Allow me to introduce you to PROJECT Dance of Michigan.


In fact, I'll let them introduce themselves. Responding to my interview were the following people: Kathy King, who is the founder and director of PROJECT Dance of Michigan (PDM.) Heather DeVries is the PDM Rehearsal Director. Tiffany Janeway and Love Miller are both dancers with PDM. They were very kind to take the time to answer my questions, which range from the neophyte to the silly sometimes, if I do say so myself, knowing that I’m a self-recognized neophyte at many things considered common knowledge in the dance world. However, as off center as my questions might have been at times, their answers were definitely center stage and insightful—insightful regarding dance, their company, their work and even themselves.

This interview will be presented in two parts. Here is part one. All photos in both parts, courtesy of Kathy King, were taken by photographer George Petersmarck (
www.georgepetersmarck.com). Please do not copy them or this article without my AND Kathy King's express permission.

[Question] Tell me a little bit about PROJECT Dance. You know, the usual stuff that you always get asked. Always asked yes, but these usual things are also important, too…things like who started it, why did they start it, and what is PROJECT Dance all about?

[Kathy] I started PROJECT Dance as a way to offer dancers in Michigan a chance to get out there and perform. The dance community in this area has been quite static lately and I wanted to put an end to that. PDM is here as an outlet for dancers to begin their professional career without having to make the move to big cities like New York, Los Angeles or Chicago. This company is all about creating an inviting atmosphere for people to simply enjoy the many aspects of performance art. We keep things exciting and diverse so that anyone attending one of our performances can find something that they can relate with and understand. In addition to performances, we teach classes and participate in community outreach as often as possible.

[Heather] Kathy approached me about starting PROJECT Dance mid-summer of 2006. Kathy and I had always said someday we would start a dance company together. She finally woke up one morning and wondered why she hadn't gone through with the idea and gave me a call. There are many purposes driving PROJECT Dance. To name a few; to give more career opportunities to Michigan dancers, to share our artistic vision with the community and also to educate children and fellow dancers alike with a broad spectrum of dance styles and choreography. We are very strong supporters of all forms of art and love to lend a helping hand in the community, whether that be through volunteering our time to teach in schools or through benefits we hold for charity organizations.

[Question] Tell me now a little about you all. What is your background? Why did you start this… or… Why did you become a part of PROJECT Dance? What do you get out of the experience? What do you contribute to it?

[Kathy] Dance has always been a major influence in my life. I moved around a few times when I was a child and eventually ended up in Michigan for high school. I was never excited about living in Michigan… it is a rather depressing state most of the time. After high school, I made the move to Los Angeles. I stayed out there for a year, but never found the experience fulfilling. I thought I wanted to be a “commercial” dancer, but in all reality, it wasn’t for me. I’m more interested in the meaningful, artistic side of dance. Once I ran out of money, I came back to Michigan to attend Wayne State University. The university setting was great for me, but I still needed more. I finally stopped procrastinating and started working on the beginnings of PROJECT Dance of Michigan. It didn’t take too long for me to connect with some key people, obtain the non-profit license and find a rehearsal home for the company. Now, I spend every waking moment thinking about PROJECT Dance and what I need to be doing next. I’m also working on my degree in Public Relations, which has proven to be very useful in the promotional aspects of running the company.

[Heather] I have had a passion for dance since a very young age. Through my teen years, it was basically all I was, all I thought about, and all I wanted to be... "a professional dancer." Upon graduating, I attended Brigham Young University and soon became restless for more career opportunities and made my move to Los Angeles. There I auditioned for the Edge Performing Arts Center Scholarship Program and was one of twenty to be accepted. I studied intensively with the top choreographers and teachers in LA. I studied all forms of dance, gymnastics, voice and acting. Upon graduating from that program, I signed with Clear Talent Group. I danced in various show, benefits, music videos and movies. When I lived in LA, it was a bittersweet life. I was LIVING my dream but still couldn't find that sense of fulfillment in what I was doing. I planned a temporary move back to Michigan for foot surgery and soon after recovery was debating whether to move back to LA when Kathy approached me regarding PROJECT Dance. PROJECT Dance has given me that sense of fulfillment. It has given me more of an opportunity to let myself and others showcase their talent. I love letting our performances be about the dance and the movement rather than everything always being so image-driven. I love being able to be a part of the audition process as well. It's nice to be able to be behind the scenes and choose dancers because of their potential and talent rather than because they "look the part" or have the "right" body. As far as my contribution, Kathy and I work together to create shows that are versatile and entertaining. Kathy and I are the two main choreographers for the company, but our dancers are permitted to choreograph if they desire. I help with promotion, choreography, and whatever Kathy might need help with. Kathy is definitely the head of it all. She loves the company and her passion and dedication to PROJECT Dance really shows through her work and leadership. She has such enthusiasm for dance. We are all very lucky to have her leading the company.

[Tiffany] I have been dancing since I was three and always wanted to pursue dancing as a professional career. I joined Project Dance because I wanted to be involved in making Michigan more dancer friendly. Project Dance gives me more chances to improve my technique and perform more.

[Love] I joined PDM because it was new, and they were actually organized and doing real dance. It wasn’t just a hip-hop, or modern based company… we do everything. I’m glad I was chosen to be in the company because with as many auditions that I got turned away from, I kind of was giving up hope. So I’m grateful that they accepted me to be apart of the company, and help get out there and show Michigan that there is real talent here.

[Question] PROJECT Dance seems to have a lot of philosophy behind it, a driving need to not just create incredible dance experiences, but to also change the world—or at least the way the world views dance and how dance affects the world just by being. Is this coincidence? Am I wrong?

[Kathy] That is an intense statement. I love what I do, and I love sharing it with others. I strongly believe that dance is good for the soul. I also believe that if artists are given an outlet in which to work, we can do amazing things in this world. We just have to get out there and support one another. The philosophy for this dance company is greatly influenced by my own personal philosophy, which I hope is strong enough to at least change the way the Michigan community views dance. But if we can change the world, that would be great too!

[Heather] We definitely have a lot of philosophy behind the company. Kathy and I both have a lot of philosophy behind the lives we live and therefore desire to create a philosophy driven company. I think one of the biggest ways we can change the way the world views dance is simply by exposure. Exposure to all forms of dance and helping the world learn to accept and appreciate more than just the booty pop. (Although we do love the booty pop.) That is why I believe it is so important to educate children. They are the leaders of tomorrow and if we can plant the seed and open their eyes to the world of dance, and help them appreciate dance or give them an outlet, a hobby, a passion, anything…We have succeeded.

[Question] Where do you want to go with PROJECT Dance? What are the big goals and dreams?

[Kathy] My biggest goal is to have PDM develop into a full running company, with dancers on salary and touring the country.


[Question] If you could achieve anything with this project, what would it be? (no matter how big, small or outrageous.)

[Kathy] I would like for Michigan dancers to have a respectable and accessible company close to home. I would like for aspiring choreographers to have an outlet in which to experiment with their work. I would like to open the eyes of the everyday person to the excitement of performance art. All in all, I just want to help dancers succeed and help the public embrace art.

[Love] There are a few things I would like to achieve while being apart of this company. I would like to let as many people know about PDM as possible so that they can support us and we wont be one hit wonders. But that the company will be able to grow and travel all over, just like well-known companies, for instance Alvin Ailey or Dayton Contemporary Dance Company.

Their Myspace site is www.myspace.com/projectdanceofmichigan and their site is www.projectdanceofmichigan.org



Stay tuned. Next week, I will post the rest of the interview (and more pictures of Art Kinetic.!)
See you then.


CG Anderson
Little Dogs Media

This article and these pictures are not copy-able, so please don't. Thanks.

No comments: