Translate

Note from AhaBlogolicious...

Comments are turned off on comics to avoid cluttering the page. Please comment or discuss using Facebook, Twitter or other social media. "Make Humor, Not War!" Thanks, you're wonderful! Yes, you! Without your support, this blog would be a lonely place...
...
Curious as to who I am and why I'm so darned opinionated? (or warped? Geez, I hope not too much!)

Try connecting with me, on Facebook or Twitter.
Follow on (https://www.facebook.com/LittleDogsMedia/ or @LittleDogsMedia) or connect with me on LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/in/cganderson/

Friday, May 04, 2007

Music REVIEW: Alternative rock group Scatterheart. Vancouver, B.C. keeps producing great music groups.

Music Review: Scatterheart has range and depth.

Scatterheart proves that once again, Vancouver, B.C. is a hub for great music.

I know it seems like I focus a great deal on Canadian bands but I assure you that it isn’t intentional. Maybe it’s karma or the fact that I include …and Canada in the name of my music/arts/media and light humor blog. I simply listen and search out bands that I believe are worth listening to, regardless of origin and without preference for genre. I like all music. I admit though that I often find myself listening mostly to pop, alternative and rock/punk with the best of the best rap and hip hop thrown in for good measure. (Best by my standards means simply that I like the music, vocals & lyrics and often find the lyrics relevant to the human condition, i.e. they have something worth saying or evoke emotions in me, the listener, and take me on a journey into their world.)

So yes, I found an alternative band this week and yes, they are from Vancouver, B.C. So sue me. (No, wait, don’t! That’s only a figure of speech!)

Scatterheart is unsigned but with a full, richly produced sound nonetheless. You can tell they’re a longtime professional band, meaning, not a garage wannabe but a working, professional band that knows their strengths and plays to them. An alternative band with a strong rock basis apparent in every chord and beat, they are surprisingly versatile. One moment they are riff extraordinaire and high energy, powering you out with stressed vocals and intense musicality. The next moment, or rather song, they are the object of restraint, fluidity and introspective social and emotional angst, pining for a better life.

I can’t tell you who does what, they didn’t list what each member did within the whole. Jesse, Wes, Mike and Doug only listed their names. However, the vocals have a wonderful plaintative feel and the music easily fills the gaps, backing up vocals and building the music into powerful swells when appropriate, moving everything along with nary a hiccup to the whole composition.

The more tender Soothe and the bass driven Shadows were my favorite of their four MySpace selections, but I enjoyed all four offerings.

Check them out at www.myspace.com/scatterheart
And check their site for upcoming live performances as well.

Have a great weekend and always keep the wire live.

CG Anderson
Little Dogs Media
Aha! Blogolicious! Musings and Meanings of Non-Sensical Events …and Canada

This article may be copied in whole or in part, as long as fair use rules are observed, no parts are modified from the original and credit given when quoted or reposted.

If a blog posting does NOT have this note at the bottom, please do not copy or repost it. It is likely in such a case NOT intended for wider distribution and you are requested to honor copyright protections and uses.

CG Anderson is a 10 year new media provocateur involved in media, art, tech, science and the online world. Also a writer, blogger and novelist. CG's comments are personal and opinionated and solely the responsibility of the author, so there. Don't like the opinions, disagree, agree, don't know? Great, make a comment—clean ones will be allowed, netiquette-challenged ones will be ignored!

MySpace site: http://www.myspace.com/ahablogolicious (help me reach 1 million friends, add yourself as my friend now! Especially since my ability to add you is broken—still---and no eta from MySpace on a fix.)
Blog site: http://ahablogolicious.blogspot.com/
URL: http://home.myuw.net/cganders/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your right! I just checked this band out and I had the privilege to see them play in Vancouver recently. They are really refreshing! They rocked and they owned the stage that night for sure.

Kendra

Anonymous said...

I just saw this band on myspace and they're extremely cool! I think I found a new obsession lol.